Thursday, January 3, 2013
LinkedIn is a powerful social networking site for working professionals. With more than 175 million users globally, professionals are finding ways to leverage their networks and utilize LinkedIn not only for networking, but determining their career path. Here are a few ways to leverage LinkedIn to build relationships and land that next dream job:
- Complete your profile: This is essential for everyone whether or not you are actively seeking employment. Your LinkedIn profile is your online resume. If you are an active job seeker, update your headline to show you are currently looking for a new opportunity. If you are passive, having a completed profile will allow you to become more searchable by LinkedIn Recruiter users.
- Update your status: Do this often. Maybe start at once or twice a day. Post anything from your skills and experience to what type of role you are looking for. Post relative content that will attract an audience of employers and employees who may be able to refer you. Be sure to like or share other peoples’ postings. This builds credibility and strengthens your professional network.
- Follow companies: Make a list of targeted employers in your area you would ideally like to work for. Search for those companies on LinkedIn and follow. This will enable you to stay updated on company’s statuses and recent job postings.
- Search for job openings: This is a great tool to begin your job search. Just a note, not all companies post their job positions on LinkedIn. Utilize searching for jobs on LinkedIn as a basis and remember to review the company’s career site. The right opportunity may be waiting for you if you do some additional research.
- Add to group discussions: LinkedIn allows you to join 50 groups. There are over a million groups on LinkedIn that you can choose from. Start off by joining local and industry-related groups. Some employers may have dedicated Careers groups, so be on a look out for those. Become a top influencer to a group by adding relevant content, adding to discussions and sharing your knowledge. People will look to you as a thought leader which will help expand your network.
By doing all of the above, you will begin to notice a growth in your network and will be on your way to becoming an “all-star” status on LinkedIn. By building your professional network, you can use it to leverage new career opportunities and truly find your next dream job.
Mei Li Takamatsu