Thursday, October 4, 2012
Monetizing Facebook’s billions of users is the company’s number one priority, and now they have introduced a new feature called Facebook ‘Gifts’, which lets people buy and send gifts to their friends. The gift feature has been upgraded to include real gifts, from real retailers, and the opportunity here could be pretty interesting for marketers.
There are already over 100 retailers already on board that offer food, jewelry, drinks (Starbucks) and more. If you are a retail marketer, particularly a mid-size retailer, you might want to consider participating in the program. Here’s why:
- Offers are not limited to the Facebook desktop user. Mobile users can participate too
- Users can choose a gift, attach a personalized note and then send that day for a birthday or other occasion
- Facebook reminds people of birthdays and other special occasions, which means there will be more demand for last minute gifts
- Gifts can be personalized, which means they can choose the color, size or flavor or even exchange it for something of equal value before it is sent
- Creativity and relevancy wins! Consider the medium, the most likely occasion (birthday) and cater your gift offering to that interaction.
Facebook Gifts will roll out gradually, starting in the United States. To learn more about gifts, visit Facebook.com/gifts
To learn more how to Optimize your Retail Toughpoints check out our latest Subscribers, Fans and Followers Research!