Friday, September 21, 2012
In February, we published a post detailing Facebook's new advertising platform after the announcement during their marketing conference (fMC) called What Changed in Facebook Advertising?. One feature called the Reach Generator was of high importance because of the lack of interaction of fans within the News Feed. Facebook stated that only (on average) 16 percent of the content in the News Feeds is seen by the user. Today, they announced the discontinuation of the generator. Just in case you missed it. Here is the overall desciption :
The Reach Generator
Reach Generator is available through Facebook’s premium managed accounts, and its uses a fixed fee price structure based on the number of fans a Page has (Techcrunch).
The Reach Generator allows a brand to turn any post into a premium ad. Think of it as adrenaline pumping, premium storytelling. Remember, any post on your Facebook page is only reaching around 16% of your overall fans. The Reach Generator allows you to reach your fans the other 84% of the time.
Facebook’s Mike Hoefflinger: “The Facebook Reach Generator system let Ben & Jerry’s reach 98% of their fans with a post and get a 3:1 ROI, and other Pages have reached 75% of their fans.”
Once the post has been submitted to the Reach Generator it has the potential to appear in four different places – right-sidebar, mobile / web news feeds, and the log-out page.
It was fairly interesting that Facebook released the Reach Generator while still offering and promoting their Promoted Posts service (despite the difference in product). Promoted Posts have the ability to be more effective than the Reach Generator because of their ability to target specific groups of people and the ease of use with the Facebook page.
According to Inside Facebook, "Facebook also recently introduced (promoted posts) for pages with more than 400 Likes. This makes it easier for pages to increase the reach of their posts without going through the ad dashboard. Initially Promoted Posts were only available for pages with fewer than 100,000 Likes, but that has changed in the past month."
This gives brands the ability to leverage Facebook for more than just a community platform. While it is important to use Facebook for list acquisition and customer development, it can also be used as a lead generation platform through Promoted Posts.
I believe this could brings us one step closer to fully realizing the potential of Facebook as an ecosystem that supports successful and customer friendly marketing.